2.26.2009

Hunting for a Printer

I've been on the hunt for an affordable laser-jet printer for the better part of 6 months. Hadn't taken it as serious as I have in the last two, and now I'm scratching at the door for one.

I had been looking for three main things:
  1. Duplexing (simultaneously printing on two sides at once)
  2. Color ('cause you never know...)
  3. Big enough to print 11" x 17" (tabloid format)
This list made things difficult- here's why:
  1. $50 to $100 for this feature
  2. add another $50 to $100 more than a black and white
  3. Add about $200 to $500 for the equivalent of printing two 8.5" x 11" pieces of paper at once
After some gentle prodding, I sat down and compiled a list of what I would actually use the sizes for.
Here's 8.5" x 11", in no particular order:
  • Resume/CV, Cover Letters, Artist Statements
  • CD labels
  • Printing physical reference pictures/photos
  • Google maps
  • Greeting Cards (to sell and for family use)
  • Promotional Materials (stickers, postcards, flyers, mailers)
  • Printing mini-comics and take-aways
  • Scripts and Letters
  • Nikki (my fiancee) usage
  • Work in progress/meeting materials
Then I did one for the 11" x 17", again in no particular order:
  • Professional comic book pages
  • Large scale projects
  • Event posters
  • Um... large mini comics?
As you can see, there isn't a good enough reason for me to spend on a big one at the moment. The needs of the Letter-size outweigh the desire of the Tabloid-size. I just need the smaller one, an affordable one. Here's what I found:

Photobucket
Isn't it a beauty? It has a 8ppm which is a bummer, but that's fine compared to a wonderful price tag of $199.99 at Staples or Best Buy. It's small enough not to be intrusive, and the quality is good.

I was prepared to get one until I noticed a rub. Not compatible with Macintosh Computers.
What the heck? Seriously?

So far, I'm not trusting HP to provide me what I want, so I'm looking towards companies like Xerox, and Dell
Photobucket
(Phaser 6180)

Photobucket
(Dell 3110cn; might be tricky- not sure if they still make them.)

I'm also looking at companies like Brother or Lenmark. We shall see... Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

TTYL

No comments: